|Spanish Rice Pudding|
I tend to do most of my relaxing in the kitchen so after breakfast I locked myself away, turned on some jazz and started to put the wheels in motion for Sunday dinner. Comfort food was high on my agenda with a Guinness & steak pie, followed by an truly indulgent Spanish rice pudding dish.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 750ml semi-skimmed milk
- 250ml single cream
- 150g short grain rice, (arborrio or other risotto rice work well)
- 1cinnamon stick
- Rind of one lemon
- 125g sugar
- 50g raisins
- 1tbsp honey
- 1tbsp spiced rum
- Put the raisins, honey & rum into a microwaveable bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover the raisins then cook in the microwave for one minute. Set aside to allow the raisins to soak up the liquid.
- Pour the cream and milk into a heavy based saucepan, add the lemon rind and cinnamon stick then slowly bring to the boil.
- Add the rice, stirring constantly to avoid the rice clumping together, and bring back to the boil. Once boling again, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Keep stirring the rice making sure that it's not sticking on the bottom.
- Add the sugar and cook for a further 15 minutes. At this stage the rice should be cooked through. If your rice has absorbed all of the milk and cream, feel free to add a splash more milk to avoid your rice becoming too dry.
- Remove the lemon rind and cinnamon stick before adding the raisins and the rum & honey liquid. Cook for a couple more minutes before serving.
To serve, generously spoon some rice into four ramekins, sprinkle with brown sugar and use a cooks blowtorch to burn the sugar, creating a crunchy top.This pudding takes a little bit of effort but is definitely worth it, and after our busy Saturday and lazy Sunday, my comfort cooking rounded the weekend of nicely.
|Rice with Raisins & Rum|