Ingredients (serves 2)
- 300g rump steak
- 1tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red chili
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lime
- Dried egg noodles
- Mix the Chinese five spice with a little olive oil to make a paste. Rub the paste over both sides of the steak and leave to marinade for 15 minutes. Heat a pan until hot, add groundnut oil and when it begins to smoke, add the steak to the pan. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side then remove from the pan and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steak is resting, quickly stir fry the courgette and pepper in the pan that the steak was in. Add a little dark soy sauce to help deglaze the pan. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions before draining then add to the pan with the vegetables. Stir fry for a couple of minutes then remove from the heat.
- Using a fine grater, grate the raw ginger, chili and garlic over the steak. Be sure to rub the flavours all over the top of the steak before squeezing the juice of half a lime over the top. Thinly slice the beef and layer over the stir fried noodles and veg.
|Chinese style beef with noodles|