Created by celebrity chef and sweet potato lover, Felice Tocchini of Fusion Brasserie in Worcester, this Sweet Potato & Smoked Haddock in an Onion recipe is delicious served up as a starter with a leafy salad, or as a main accompanied with fresh vegetables. For an elegant twist, garnish the plate with hand-picked flowers!
The Love Sweet Potatoes campaign is designed to tell consumers about the benefits of eating sweet potatoes and all the different ways they can be used. The North Carolina farming family at Scott Farms is behind the campaign and has been growing sweet potatoes for over four generations. They are now the largest importer of sweet potatoes into the UK.
- 300g sweet potatoes
- 6 large onions
- 300ml milk
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 300g undyed smoked haddock
- ½tsp smoked paprika
- Small bunch each of basil and parsley, chopped
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake until cooked through.
- Place the whole onions, including the skins, in a pan of water and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer until they feel soft when you insert the tip of a knife. Remove and leave to cool.
- In a large pan, bring the milk, thyme, garlic and bay leaf to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Return the milk to the boil and add the haddock. Cook for 2-4 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once the onions have cooled, cut off the tops and set aside. Gently scoop out the onion flesh. Chop ¾ of the scooped out flesh from one onion and put it in a large bowl. Place the onion shells upside down to allow any juices to drain out.
- Scoop out the flesh from the baked sweet potatoes, mash and place in the bowl with the onion.
- Drain the haddock (keeping the cooking liquid). Remove the skin and any bones, flake the flesh and place in the bowl with the sweet potatoes.
- Remove the garlic from the milk and add to the sweet potato and haddock. Mix together with the paprika, herbs, half of the cheese and a little of the reserved milk.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/gas mark 4. Spoon the sweet potato mix into the onion shells and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar. Place the onions in a tray with a little water, with the top of each onion next to it. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Place the top back on the cooked onion and serve.