National Marmalade Week takes place from 28th February to 6th March. The event is organised by the World Marmalade Awards at Dalemain, Penrith. The Awards take place from 19th-21st March and the main sponsors are Mackays, Fortnum & Mason and Paddington Bear.
To help get me in the mood, the good people at Mackays sent me a few jars of their marmalade in the hope that I could come up with a recipe or two that showcased their wonderful citrus preserves.
Keen to get involved with the marmalade recipe challenge, I sat down at the kitchen island with a notepad and pen hoping for some inspiration however after a few minutes I realised that inspiration wasn't coming! In the end, I decided to mix myself a cocktail in the hope that alcohol might help come up with a delicious marmalade inspired recipe.
Mackays Marmalade Martini
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 70ml vodka - I used Grey Goose
- 40ml gin - I used Hendricks
- 20ml triple-sec - I used Cointreau
- Juice of half a lime
- 100g marmalade - I used Mackays Orange Marmalade with Champagne
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice before adding all the ingredients.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds
- Double strain into a chilled martini glass before garnishing with a twist of orange
Wow! This variation on the classic 'breakfast martini' was fantastic. The botanicals from the gin work well with the bitter preserve whilst there was enough sweetness to make my Mackays Marmalade Martini very drinkable.
Unfortunately, I'm no further forward with my marmalade recipe challenge although with so many different gins and so many different Mackays marmalades to choose from, maybe I should research the cocktail line to find the perfect blend of flavours for the perfect Mackays Marmalade Martini.