We're halfway through British Pie Week so I couldn't let the week go by without getting involved. However, I didn't have a lot of spare time available in order to make a proper pie from scratch so I came up with this quick and easy recipe that allows you to serve up a delicious chicken, bacon & leek pie in just over 30 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 chicken breast, chopped
- 100g bacon lardons
- 2 small leeks, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 150ml soured cream
- 150g ready roles puff pastry
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7, 220C
- Heat a little oil in a pan then add the chicken, cooking until the chicken is browned all over.
- Add the bacon lardons and cook through before adding the leeks and garlic. Continue cooking until the leeks begin to soften.
- Transfer the chicken, bacon and leek mixture to an ovenproof pie dish then stir in the soured cream before topping with the rolled out pastry.
- Cut a small hole in the top of the pastry then place the pie dish into the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and leave to stand for five minutes before serving.
I served the pie with new potatoes and roasted broccoli but I'm sure that mashed potatoes would have worked just as well. This pie is so easy to prepare and packs a huge amount of flavour. I'm a big fan of meals that can be prepared quickly and with little fuss - this pie certainly tickets those boxes. Give it a go for yourself and why not let me know how you get on? You can get involved with British Pie Week on Twitter by using the hashtag #BritishPieWeek